Glove style hand puppets are a variation of the traditional
hand puppet, being controlled on the interior with the hand. They originated in
the seventeenth century in China’s “Fujian” province. Glove puppetry was
practiced in the areas of China in which Min Nan was the primary language.
Since the 17th century, it has been more widely practiced in Taiwan.
These puppets use wood to create the extremities of the
puppet (head, hands, and feet), and cloth to construct the body of the puppet.
When the puppets are used, a gloved hand enters from the rear of the puppet.
This gives the puppet a free spirited appearance. Glove puppets are said to have an unpredictable nature because of the way they are constructed. The only finite points of control are in the extremities, so the body of the puppet seems to flail about. When utilized in a creative way, this lack of control can add alot to a performance.
This YouTube link shows an example of traditional Taiwanese glove puppetry. The video also gives a brief history of the art and an explanation of its creation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aDui91XyI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glove_puppetry
http://saratogacitydesk.blogspot.com/2013/08/taiwanese-glove-
puppetry.html

I wonder if this is also the style of the traditional Punch and Judy puppets. If so, it would be fascinating to learn more about how different early cultures around the world developed the same type of puppet--similar to the different tales of thunder and lightening we studied.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your last line in this blog. Usually we talk about the limitations of a puppet and how a puppet can only do what it does and that's it, your last line raises my awareness to why people use puppets. Although they are so limited they tell so much of a different story than what just a person would do, their limitations may even reflect our own human struggle, but we''ll save that conversation for a later date.
ReplyDeleteThis type of puppet seems very interesting. It seems like you would need a lot of control and training to be able to control the wood portions of the puppet's body. Then I read the last line, and it TOTALLY MAKES SENSE. Haha. I loved the video too. It described very well the mechanics of the puppets and how they are performed. Well done!
ReplyDeleteGlove style hand puppets seem to me to be a mixture between the hand and rod "Muppet" style puppets and traditional hand puppets. I wonder if "Muppet" style puppets evolved from these, or something close to them?
ReplyDeleteGreat video, Will. This post has several comments, so I thought I'd chime in...
ReplyDeleteYes, this is the same style as Punch & Judy, though I've never seem them with the legs. So, there seeming lack of control IS what they do, right?
Elana, you're close- glove styled hand puppets have been around a very long time, as have rod style puppets ( like the one I made from the milk jug, on a long pole). Jim Henson was the first to combine them, I believe.